Thursday, 17 January, 2019

Two Argentine tourists among seven killed in Cuban road accident

There were 750 deaths and 7,999 injuries in 11,187 accidents last year in the country of 11 million There were 750 deaths and 7,999 injuries in 11,187 accidents last year in the country of 11 million Credit Julian Peters
Melinda Barton | 13 January, 2019, 17:31

British tourists were feared to be among the casualties after a bus crashed in eastern Cuba, killing seven people.

The dead ranged in age from 32 to 67, according to a tweet by Radio Guantánamo, which identified the injured USA citizen as Allison Alida Kemmer.

The coach overturned while driving on the road linking the city of Baracoa, near Cuba's eastern tip, to the capital Havana.

Other tourists were from Holland, Great Britain, France and Mexico. Witnesses said he tried to overtake another vehicle.

A Frenchman, a German woman and two Argentine women were among the dead, along with three Cubans, Venceremos newspaper said.

The driver told Radio Guantanamo he lost control on the wet and winding road, Le Herradura, which has one of the highest accident rates on the Guantanamo Baracoa highway. The report did not specify if foreigners were among those in critical condition.

According to Radio Guantanamo, two Canadians were injured - a 56-year-old man and a 54-year-old man.

Roads in Cuba are poorly lit, narrow and poorly maintained.

The Foreign Office said it was not able to confirm whether any British tourists were involved in the crash, but said it was "seeking information from the Cuban authorities following a road traffic accident, and are ready to assist any British people who require our help".

Thursday's wreck was the fourth major bus accident in a month.