Thursday, 17 January, 2019

16-Year-Old Australian Boy Dies in Avalanche in St Anton

A man removes snow from a road during heavy snowfall in Eisenerz Austria Image A man in Eisenerz Austria tries to clear the snow
Melinda Barton | 13 January, 2019, 18:44

Max was also a member of the school's mock trial team and a talented athlete, according to the school's website.

16-year-old Max Meyer was skiing with his father, 58, mother, 55, and younger brother, 14, at Austrian resort St Anton am Arlberg.

Sydney schoolboy Max Meyer was on a holiday with his family in Austria when tragedy struck.

The family, a German man and Australian woman with their children, live in Australia.

The school has reopened today and will be open next week for any students in need of counselling or support.

The highest red warnings are in place in Germany and Austria with more heavy snow expected to fall in the coming days.

According to the UK's Evening Standard, the bad weather has so far claimed the lives of at least 16 people across Europe.

Parents and students at the school received an email on Thursday evening informing them that Max Meyer died on a European holiday with his family.

Australia's foreign affairs department is providing consular assistance to the teenager's family.

It comes amid a huge downpour of snow in the region and the wider Alps area, with several other people killed.

Several railway lines in the Alps were closed because of the snow, and schools were closed in parts of Bavaria. The Svalbard archipelago is 500 miles north of Norway's mainland.

Norwegian news agency NTB said 29 dwellings at the foot of the Sukkertoppen mountain were evacuated, and a school, kindergartens, a sports facility and public library closed.

The front of a Swiss hotel was hit by an avalanche and a winter storm made roads impassable in Sweden and Norway.

"It is with deep sadness that I write to inform you that one of our students has died in an avalanche while skiing with his family", principal Shauna Colnan said in an email to parents dated January 10, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.