Thursday, 17 January, 2019

Have zero knowledge of assurances given to Maxwell - Langer

Glenn Maxwell Trevor Hohns Glenn Maxwell
Kristopher Love | 12 January, 2019, 22:52

Langer on Thursday said he had "zero knowledge" of any advice at the time to the 30-year-old about where and when he should play.

Langer later apologized and said, "Sorry for getting grumpy".

Maxwell refrained from playing in County cricket last season in a bid to get selected for Australia A's tour of India previous year.

India beat Australia 2-1 to clinch the Test series creating history.

It's understood the Australia A tour of India was flagged as a key goal in Maxwell's formal player development strategy, part of CA's high-performance unit that is now under review following Pat Howard's sacking. "I don't like getting grumpy but there are so many stories that go around about so much stuff. The truth is a attractive thing".

The ESPN Cricinfo article states: "a spokesperson denied that the planning email, a common part of discussions between CA and the players, was tantamount to a guarantee of selection".

Since then, his red-ball career has remained in jeopardy.

However, it had come after Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, clarified that he wasn't sure about any such instruction or from where had it come from.

During the media conference, Langer had addressed Maxwell's omission from the Test squad for Sri Lanka and the "false" reports about the right-hander's personality as a contributing factor to his selection chances, reinforcing the message Hohns delivered.

"It's not true. All the conjecture about it - that's all part of the noise". "He is another player with a track record of making centuries", said Hohns.

"Glenn is crystal clear from me and the selectors what he needs to do to get back in the Test team", Langer said.

Worldwide duties with the white ball have prevented Maxwell from putting forward a strong case in Sheffield Shield cricket and while chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns denied the 30-year-old's personality was a factor in his repeated snubbing, Quiney wasn't buying it.

Maxwell had to fulfil his commitments in shorter formats, which meant that he could play only two first-class matches.

"I've certainly made it clear that I wouldn't have gone to England this year if I wasn't still trying to play test cricket", Maxwell said on The Unplayable Podcast.

But they face competition from Matt Renshaw, who has been handed another opportunity despite misfiring in the domestic Sheffield Shield this season.Allrounder Marnus Labuschagne was retained from the team that played the rain-affected drawn Test in Sydney this week, as was Travis Head.

"I feel like I'm doing everything I can and I'm trying to make all the right moves off the field by getting red-ball cricket elsewhere and showing I'm 100 per cent serious".