Friday, 18 January, 2019

Rape Case Investigators Issue Warrant For Cristiano Ronaldo's DNA

Cristiano Ronaldo during the Italian Serie A football match on 29 December 2018 in Turin Cristiano Ronaldo during the Italian Serie A football match on 29 December 2018 in Turin
Stacy Diaz | 11 January, 2019, 03:44

The German newspaper Der Spiegel reported in October past year that Ronaldo allegedly employs a team of fixers, including at least one private detective, to deal with the public relations disaster he faced after he was accused of rape by Kathryn Mayorga.

In response to another question on if she gave verbal non-consent, Ronaldo said, "She said no and stop several times".

"The LVMPD is taking the same steps in this case as in any other sexual assault to facilitate the collection of DNA evidence", Officer Laura Meltzer said.

Las Vegas police would not confirm the approach.

The official who spoke with the Journal said police sent the warrant to court officials in Italy, where Ronaldo plays for the Italian club Juventus in addition to Portugal's national team.

Authorities have reportedly obtained the accuser Kathryn Mayorga's dress from the alleged incident and are now looking to see if Ronaldo's DNA is a match. The lawsuit and the criminal police investigation are on separate legal tracks.

Mayorga filed a lawsuit against the 33-year-old football superstar last year, saying she remained traumatized by her alleged ordeal and that she had been emboldened to take the step by the MeToo movement.

The lawsuit against him claims teacher Ms Mayorga was coerced into signing a $375,000 (£332,000) out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo in 2010.

News of the warrant comes two days after a second woman, Jasmine Lennard, an English model and reality television star who previously wrote a tell-all about her relationship with Ronaldo, accused him of violent behaviour in a series of posts on Twitter. "Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in". "Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refused to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense".

Peter Christiansen, an attorney for Ronaldo, declined to comment Wednesday regarding the Las Vegas warrant.