Wednesday, 19 December, 2018

Three dead in Iran terror attack

State TV says suicide car bombing kills 2 in southeast Iran Rare suicide car bombing kills at least three people in Iran
Melinda Barton | 06 December, 2018, 16:28

A suicide vehicle bomber attacked a police headquarters in the Iranian port city of Chabahar on Thursday, killing at least two police and wounding 28 people, state TV reported.

TV also reported shooting in the area, which is located in the mainly Sunni province of Sistan-Baluchestan that has always been plagued by unrest from both drug smuggling gangs and separatist militants.

The governor of Sistan-and-Baluchestan Province, Rahmdel Bamari, told the IRNA news agency that four people had been killed and many others injured.

Chabahar city governor Rahmdel Bameri said earlier that four people were killed and many more wounded when the bomber blew up a vehicle, but later revised the death toll to two.

Iranian authorities said Rigi who headed the militant group Jundollah was captured on a flight from Dubai to Kyrgyzstan.

Ansar al-Furqan, a Sunni jihadi group, clamed credit for the attack.

State television broke into its regular broadcast to report the attack, as such assaults are rare in the Islamic Republic.

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif blamed "foreign-backed terrorists" for the attack.

Chabahar, near Iran's border with Pakistan on the Arabian Sea, is home to a new port recently built and is an economic free zone for the country.

Images posted on Twitter purported to show thick smoke rising from the area.

That attack was claimed by a Sunni Muslim group called, Jundallah, also known as Soldiers of God.

Iran also says that militant groups are sheltering across the border in Pakistan and has threatened to attack their bases if Islamabad does not confront them.