Friday, 22 February, 2019

NSW Police Outline New Developments Leading To Arrest Of Chris Dawson

Chris Dawson NSW Police Outline New Developments Leading To Arrest Of Chris Dawson
Melinda Barton | 05 December, 2018, 17:24

Chris Dawson has been arrested on the Gold Coast over the death of his wife, Lynette, who disappeared from their Sydney home almost 37 years ago.

"That information enabled New South Wales Police to get an arrest warrant for a 70-year-old man now living in Queensland", Fuller told reporters Wednesday.

Some of the additional material surfaced as a result of The Australian newspaper's investigative podcast The Teacher's Pet.

Lyn Dawson was last seen in Sydney's northern beaches in January 1982.

Days after her disappearance her husband Chris moved his schoolgirl lover into the family home.

Additional evidence collected during the investigation which lead to the arrest was made up of mostly witness statements, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller told reporters on Wednesday.

"They were predominately statements from witnesses that helped us tie pieces of the puzzle together", he explained.

"We spoke to the family of Lynette Dawson this morning, who were certainly relieved to hear this result and from their perspective, they have asked for some patience in terms of their confidentiality in going forward", he said.

His arrest comes three years after detectives from the Homicide Squad's Unsolved Homicide Unit established Strike Force Scriven to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding Lynette's disappearance and suspected murder.

NSW Police and Forensic Services search the former home of missing woman Lynette Dawson, at Bayview on the northern beaches, in Sydney.

Image: AAP Police remained at the home for a week.

After a career playing rugby league for the Newtown Jets, Chris Dawson worked as a P.E. teacher at Cromer High School.

It came after Mr Dawson began a relationship in 1980 with his 16-year-old student Joanne Curtis.

Magistrate Dennis Kinsella denied Mr Dawson's bail application, saying he was an unacceptable risk of failing to appear.

Mr Simms said the family was grateful for the extensive work carried out by NSW Police.

The family of Chris Dawson has released a statement, defending him.

"We are disappointed at the decision of the DPP as there is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and his daughters", brother Peter Dawson said, according to the Seven Network. "Certainly we have solved homicide cases before without identifying the body", he said.

"We are confident with the case", Supt Scott Cook told reporters on Wednesday.

"We have no doubt whatsoever that Chris will be found not guilty as he is innocent".

Mr Dawson, who was also a highschool Physical Education teacher, was taken into custody at a home in Biggera Waters on the Gold Coast just before 8am on Wednesday.