Thursday, 18 October, 2018

Central Texas surf resort closed for 'brain-eating amoeba' testing

The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot
Melissa Porter | 02 October, 2018, 13:44

A New Jersey man has died from a brain-eating amoeba he may have contracted while swimming in Texas.

Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile, 29, was mowing his lawn in Ventnor, New Jersey, last month when he was overcome with a powerful headache. Symptoms of the disease typically begin one to nine days after the amoeba has entered the body, with people dying one to 18 days after symptoms begin.

"A small CDC team collected samples for Naegleria Fowleri testing and will be working with the health department on recommendations to provide the facility on how to reduce potential exposures", reported CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann in the Waco Tribune-Herald.

NJ.com reported that by the time he was diagnosed, it was "too late to administer the drug that has been given to three of the only five survivors in North America".

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E Parsons Jr. said: 'Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time.

The CDC says Naegleria fowleri is often found in warm freshwater. Once it travels through the nose it causes a devastating brain infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

The CDC said Monday it is assisting the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District and the surf resort, which voluntarily closed following Stabile's death, in testing for Naegleria fowleri.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise awarness of the dangers posed by Naegleria Fowleri in Stabile's memory.

He added: '"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time".

Ten days later, Naegleria fowleri was also detected in a Louisiana water system near Shreveport on September 26, according to KTBS. The fatality rate is over 97 percent, with only four people surviving the infection, according to statistics kept since 1962. Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

Stabile was an avid outdoorsman who loved snowboarding, surfing, and anything to do with friends and family, according to an obituary published by The Press of Atlantic City.

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.