Thursday, 16 August, 2018

Fairfield resident tests positive for West Nile virus

The West Nile Virus has killed two people in Greece The West Nile Virus has killed two people in Greece
Melissa Porter | 12 August, 2018, 20:39

Two elderly Greeks - both over 80 - are the first victims of this year's West Nile virus, Greek health officials reported Thursday.

The sample was confirmed to be West Nile Virus positive by the lab at the Montana Department of Public Health & Human Services in Helena.

Officials said mosquitoes tested at a site in CT have come up positive for West Nile virus.

Positive mosquito samples also have been found throughout the city.

"The majority of infected individuals have mild or no symptoms", it continues.

Earlier this week it was announced a positive test result had come back for West Nile Virus (WNV) in the community.

She said precautions like wearing long sleeves and socks should be taken, even when just going into the backyard, when mosquitoes are most likely to be active. Most people who are infected with WNV do not have any symptoms; however some can develop a fever with other symptoms like headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea, or rash. No Yolo County residents have been diagnosed with the virus thus far this year.

Most people (8 out of 10) infected with WNV do not develop symptoms. During 2002, the state documented its first human infections and 52 cases were reported that year.

Health officials are advising people in Saskatoon and surrounding areas to take the necessary protective measures to lower their chance of being bitten by mosquitoes for the rest of the summer.

DEET: Apply insect repellent containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR3535 according to label instructions. Try to avoid outdoor activities during these times.

Wear shoes, socks, long trousers, and long-sleeved shirts.

Remove areas of standing water around your home to eliminate sources of mosquito breeding.

"Make sure to fix or install window and door screens to keep mosquitoes from entering your home".