Tuesday, 17 July, 2018

Thaw point: Experts warn on eating frozen vegetables while still frozen

Different packs of frozen vegetables Listeria outbreak: Lidl recall MORE vegetables over deadly bacteria | Daily Star
Nellie Chapman | 13 July, 2018, 10:07

The products include snap frozen vegetable mixes, corn kernels, quick-steam carrot, broccoli and cauliflower mixes, and pea, carrot and sweet corn mixes.

Most of the products taken off the shelves are own-brand vegetable mixes, and 11 total cases of listeria have so far been identified in the UK.

On June 29, the Hungarian Food Chain Safety Office banned the marketing of all frozen vegetable and frozen mixed vegetable products produced by the company's Baja facility.

The Victorian, whose age and gender have not been supplied by the state's health department, was also being treated for another serious illness when they died.

"Customers who have purchased the product, should return the product to their local store for a full refund".

Woolworths said the affected product had been tested for listeria and was "found to be compliant".

More than 190 people died following a major listeriosis outbreak in the country since the outbreak late previous year.

About 20 per cent of frozen vegetables sold in Australia are from overseas.

Acting FSANZ CEO Peter May said pregnant women, elderly people and people whose immune systems are compromised such as cancer patients are particularly at risk and he has urged vulnerable people to check their freezers for the vegetables.

Some of the products that have been recalled.

Food authorities said the vegetables could carry listeria monocytogenes which can cause listeriosis.

Symptoms could include headache, fever, tiredness and aches and pains.

She said: "The best way to prevent listeriosis is to practise good food hygiene".

A number of brand names are affected by the recall, including Woolworths homebrand and IGA Black & Gold mixed vegetable and corn kernel products. "Thorough cooking would ensure that the product is safe".

Listeriosis is an illness caused by eating contaminated food and can grow in food at refrigeration temperatures.