Friday, 22 February, 2019

Thailand football team won't attend World Cup final

Thailand football team won't attend World Cup final Thailand football team won't attend World Cup final
Stacy Diaz | 12 July, 2018, 22:24

At U-Tapao civil-military airport in Rayong province, near where the Royal Thai Navy operates out of Sattahip Naval Base, Thai navy SEALs and some foreign military personnel were given a hero's welcome when they touched down on Thursday.

Steve George reported from Thailand, James Griffiths wrote from Hong Kong. "It's important to realize how complex and how many pieces of this puzzle had to come together". The boys range in age from 11 to 16. It said he was "a real hero".

That gutsy determination was on display today in a video taken from the hospital isolation ward.

The boys' families can visit them wearing protective gowns and masks, it added.

"We fought and were defeated, losing space to the water", Acting Chiang Rai governor and rescue coordinator Narongsak Osatanakorn told the media.

Despite the ordeal, the boys seem to be in fairly good shape, according to Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, an inspector for Thailand's health department.

Even so, all need to be monitored in the hospital for a week and then rest at home for another 30 days, he said.

The doctor said three of the boys were being treated for minor cases of pneumonia, but predicted most would be discharged after about a week.

Volanthen paid tribute to the Thai navy diver Saman Kunan, who died while replenishing oxygen canisters, saying his death brought a "bittersweet" taste to an otherwise "excellent" operation.

In a letter written to the 25-year-old coach while he and the 12 members of the Wild Boar soccer team were still trapped in the cave, parents thanked him for taking care of their children.

"I haven't asked the coach yet why he chose that order", he said.

The group had entered the sprawling Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand to go exploring after soccer practice on June 23 when monsoon rains filled the tight passageways, blocking their escape. When divers reached them later, they brought additional food, water and blankets.

But the young boy, who comes from a country where only one-third of the population speaks the local dialect, managed to help British rescuers in their operation to pull the young football team to safety.

They were flown by helicopter to join their teammates in quarantine at the Chiang Rai hospital.

Narongsak said global rescuers led the final phase of the risky mission.

Asking to speak with Dr Harris, Mr Turnbull said "we know it's a tough time for you at the moment, so lots of love there".

Pure Flix's Managing Partner Michael Scott, who resides in Thailand and went on site during the rescue operation took to Twitter on Tuesday to make the company's announcement on the movie.