Saturday, 22 September, 2018

Indian court upholds death sentences for 2012 Delhi gangrape

Indian court upholds death sentences for 2012 Delhi gangrape Indian court upholds death sentences for 2012 Delhi gangrape
Melinda Barton | 09 July, 2018, 16:52

The Supreme Court on Monday reaffirmed the death penalty granted to the convicts in the gang rape and murder of a paramedical student on 16 December 2012, in New Delhi.

The apex court during the hearing of the case on Monday said that the death row convicts failed to point out "error apparent on the face of record" in the judgement.

The top court had, in its May 5, 2017 verdict, upheld the death sentences awarded to the four convicts by a trial court and confirmed by the Delhi High Court.

The May 2017 verdict by the Supreme Court was delivered in appeal against the death sentence awarded to them by the Delhi high court, which considered it to be a "rarest of rare" case.

A three-judge bench of Justices Dipak Misra, R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan in a unanimous verdict held Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Mukesh and Pawan Gupta guilty and awarded the death sentence to them saying that the brutal, barbaric and diabolic nature of the crime shook the conscience of humanity and they deserved the extreme punishment.

The fourth convict had not preferred a review. They can file one last petition with the Supreme Court, and if it's again rejected, they can seek presidential mercy, said A.P. Singh, the defence attorney.

In the December 2012 attack, prosecutors said the four took their victim to the back of a private bus in New Delhi, raping her and then damaging her internal organs with an iron rod.

The 23-year-old physiotherapy student was attacked on a bus as she and a male friend returned from watching a film in December 2012.

March 21: Government approves new tougher anti-rape law to punish sex crimes, including death for repeat rape offenders. He was released from a reformation home after serving a three-year term.

Four of the six men who raped and tortured a 23-year-old paramedic student have appealed against the death penalty.

The case led to the amendment of the Criminal Procedure Code to make rape punishable with the death penalty. The fifth convict committed suicide in jail in 2013 while the sixth one was a minor at the time. She succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

Singh, lawyer of two convicts, Pawan and Vinay told ANI he is hopeful that his clients would get justice.