Monday, 20 August, 2018

ABC picks up Roseanne spinoff The Conners with John Goodman & more

Stacy Diaz | 22 June, 2018, 23:00

The news network announced on Thursday it had ordered a new, 10-episode series, tentatively titled The Conners, to take over the Tuesday 8 pm slot later this year, starring the rest of the Roseanne revival cast. "I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from Roseanne". After all, the network had already invested millions in stars John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Sara Gilbert alone - all who had renegotiated their salaries from $250,000 to $300,000 per episode for the upcoming order.

Goodman, Metcalf and the other returning cast members also put out a joint statement, saying, "We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it's clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts but in the hearts and homes of our audience".

"The Conners' stories demonstrate that families can always find common ground through conversation, laughter and love".

Journalist based in Charlotte, North Carolina, whose work has appeared in The Charlotte Observer, Creative Loafing, and more.

Executive producer Tom Werner and Barr reached a financial agreement that allowed the spinoff to go forward without her.

Shortly after the end of the 2018 reboot's first season, Barr tweeted racist comments about former White House advisor Valerie Jarrett.

It's unclear if the show will address Barr's disappearance in "The Connors".

Barr apologized for her racist tweet but ABC condemned it as "abhorrent" and "inconsistent with our values" in announcing the cancellation of her show.

ABC said that through "the fights, the coupon cutting, the hand-me-downs, the breakdowns-with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails", while describing what the Conners will face in Langford after the not-so-mysterious "sudden turn of events".

"The spinoff will continue to portray contemporary issues that are as relevant today as they were 30 years ago", the statement continued.

The press release further clarified that Barr would have "no financial or creative involvement in the new series".

But Dungey, the first African American to ever serve as president of a USA broadcast network, in a statement announcing the show's cancellation said, "Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant, and inconsistent with our values, and we have chose to cancel her show".

The network's decision to cancel Roseanne altogether came as a shock to many, but it seems ABC has found a way to capitalize on the sitcom's popularity without the controversy of its former lead.