Friday, 16 November, 2018

Cuba: No Explanation for Latest U.S. Employee's Illness

Cuba: No Explanation for Latest U.S. Employee's Illness Cuba: No Explanation for Latest U.S. Employee's Illness
Melinda Barton | 11 June, 2018, 05:47

United States of America has recalled two members of a diplomatic mission in Cuba to survey for possible traumatic brain injury, told The Associated Press from three US official.

According to the Secretary of State, the government employee has "very similar" medical assessments "completely consistent" with those experienced by USA diplomats while working in Havana, Cuba.

The State Department has previously said brain injuries suffered by 24 u.s. officials and family members posted in Havana could have been the result of a "health attack", perhaps from an unidentified secret weapon.

A USA medical team has been screening more personnel and their family members who work in Guangzhou this week in order to determine who may have been affected.

They're not authorized to comment publicly on the matter and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, which has partly rolled back a detente with Cuba, responded previous year by sharply drawing down U.S. Embassy staff in Havana and in October expelled 15 Cuban diplomats.

The incident rattled U.S. -Cuba relations, but the occurrence of similar symptoms in China has raised suspicions about whether China, Russia, or another country might be to blame.

The department is urging government workers to seek medical attention if they begin experiencing symptoms such as dizziness, headaches or a ringing in the ears.

The bulk of cases took place between the end of 2016 and the summer of 2017, with symptoms including hearing loss, cognitive impairment, vertigo, insomnia or vision problems.

The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, which has partly rolled back a detente with Cuba, first charged diplomats were the victims of "sonic attacks" and Cuba as the host country was at a minimum responsible for their safety. The Foreign Ministry said Thursday the US had not formally raised the matter with Beijing.

Earlier this week, a number of U.S. personnel in China have been sent back to Washington for further health screenings after concerns over reports of mysterious acoustic incidents similar to the Cuba "sonic attacks", CNN reported. The AP reported that out of the approximately 170 American staffers in the consulate, 150 have undergone the examinations.