Thursday, 20 September, 2018

Patient in Goa hospital tests negative for Nipah virus

Nipah Kozhikode Reuters Patient in Goa hospital tests negative for Nipah virus
Melissa Porter | 01 June, 2018, 18:49

A 28-year-old soldier from Kerala, who was posted at Fort William, Kolkata, has died of suspected Nipah virus infection. On the bottom left, you see a thin section EM image of a mature virus particle, and the bottom right image depicts a thin section EM image of nucleocapsids show adjacent to the plasma membrane of an infected cell.

Although the exact source of the Nipah virus has not been identified, it is transferred through contact with pigs, bats and humans that are infected.

There is no specific treatment for Nipah virus with only intensive supportive care available. A federal investigation into this outbreak was launched quickly, and the country has the resources to contain it.

They were sent for tests at the National Institute of High Security Animal Diseases (NIHSAD) in Bhopal.

Several other Indian states have sent samples for testing from people with Nipah-like symptoms in the past few days, as fears grow the disease is spreading to neighbouring regions.

Infectious disease expert at the John Hopkins Centre for Health Security Amesh A Adalja MD said: "This is another example of an infectious disease outbreak that should put people on notice". The total number of suspected cases stands at nine.

There is relief in Kerala that the infection did not spread into an outbreak and is now more or less under control.

Bangladesh has borne the brunt of the disease in recent years, with more than 100 people dying of Nipah since a first outbreak was reported in 2001. It has been hard for the Kerala government to deal with NiV.

People need to remember also that humans are responsible for the route of disease transmission, by cultivating food resources that bats and other wildlife have learned to capitalize on. One must avoid eating fruits from Nipah-affected regions.

According to the WHO report, 600 Nipah cases were reported in the world from 1998 to 2015.

Prasad died on May 25 and he was cremated the next day as a safety measure against possible spread of infection, if any.