Monday, 20 August, 2018

E-cig explosion kills FL man

Man dies when shards of e-cig lodge in his brain after it exploded Tallmadge D’Elia suffered 80 per cent burns to his body after shards from the vape pen embedded in his skull
Melinda Barton | 16 May, 2018, 21:59

- The autopsy report for a man whose vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his St. Petersburg home, shows the exploding pen - not the fire - killed him. The official cause of death was "projectile wound of head" and was ruled an accident.

Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia died on Cinco de Mayo in St. Petersburg after his vape pen burst into flames in his bedroom.

FEMA recently reported that there were nearly 200 incidents involving exploding vape pens between 2000 and 2016, but D'Elia is the first person in the United States to die as a outcome. He suffered burns to 80 percent of his body. The autopsy noted that the e-cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain and was a "mod" type device.

A Florida man was killed by an exploding vape pen, authorities say.

"The two major causes of dramatic failures with the larger units are overcharging of the battery and then the shorting of the battery", said Thomas Kiklas, the chief financial officer of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association.

The Smok-E Mountain Mech Works vaping device, which is made in The Philippines, is an unregulated mechanical e-cigarette.

"Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from happening", Wilder added.

Experts fault the lithium ion batteries used in e-cigarettes.

Explosions involving vape pens are uncommon, but faulty devices have been the subject of a handful of media report in recent years. D'Elia was apparently using a higher wattage vaping pen that came packaged with a more powerful battery.

'It can explode and at that point it can project either the pieces of the lighter itself or the vape pen'. The representative said that it was likely an atomizer (the part a person inserts into their mouth) or a battery issue that caused the explosion.