Tuesday, 21 August, 2018

IPhone explodes in Los Vegas store next to employee

Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed
Sherri Watson | 15 May, 2018, 00:39

Smartphones are powered by lithium-ion batteries, and lithium-ion batteries can explode.

Surveillance video from a Los Vegas store shows an iPhone exploding and catching fire feet away from a store employee, who was working on fixing a different phone, according to CBS.

A video showing an iPhone exploding in Las Vegas has lit up social media. While it wasn't his shop, he says he has seen badly damaged batteries due to heat in the desert. So it's entirely possible the battery was damaged in some way before or during the fix process. That's obviously only part of the story.

The biggest issue he sees the temperatures rise into the triple digits in Las Vegas are the cracked screens from the warped batteries.

In a video obtained by KTNV news channel, a man can be seen sitting in a corner using his phone when an object on the table bursts into flames.

He has seen a phone explode before but "It takes a lot for it to explode".

The employee quickly jumped up to get help as the phone burned itself out on the desk in less than 20 seconds.

One last note before we show you the video: the KTNV report includes two pieces really, really bad "expert" advice about smartphone batteries.

It's much more common for the screen to crack due to a bloated battery than for the phone to combust, Paul Tartaglio, the owner of Gadget Repair, said. Keeping the phone from getting too hot can extend the battery life.