Monday, 19 March, 2018

First ever MacBook Air with Retina Display leaks alongside affordable MacBook

Apple new entry-level MacBook to reach 4 million in unit shipments in 2018, says Digitimes Research Apple might be releasing an entry-level MacBook and refreshing the iPad lineup
Theresa Hayes | 12 March, 2018, 16:55

However its display size which is 13.3-inches does suggest that it would be of the MacBook Air variety, unless of course Apple is planning on introducing a 13.3-inch MacBook, which would actually make it more expensive and not cheaper. Currently, the $999 MacBook Air is the cheapest Mac you can buy from Apple. This should also be accompanied by a slightly more pricey version toting double the storage at 256GB.

The 13.3-inch a-Si panels for the new notebook feature the same resolution as Apple's 13.3-inch MacBook Pro at 2,560 by 1,600. These are thought to be for a new MacBook Air, which now comes with a 1,440 x 900 resolution screen.

Sources familiar with Apple's supply chain told Digitimes that the new entry-level MacBook will be launched at the end of the second quarter, priced "bout the same level as that of the existing MacBook Air or slightly higher". The current MacBook Pro has the same 2560 x 1600-pixel resolution. It's possible that the two analysts are ultimately talking about the same product, or that Apple will be dropping entry-level prices for both the Air and Retina MacBook lines.

A non-descriptive rumor about a MacBook Air refresh surfaced earlier this month from KGI claiming its to debut in Q2. It seems the company was looking to lower costs by seeking panels from a Chinese supplier, but issues resulted in the brand going to LG Display instead. Said panel, by the way, should come from LG Display, even though Apple may have initially struck a supply deal with an unspecified "China-based maker". Quanta Computer's set to assemble 70% of orders and Foxconn the remaining 30%. The tablet will go on sale in the second quarter of 2018, while new iPad Pro models are due in the second half of the year.