Monday, 21 January, 2019

'Parsons Green Tube bomber Ahmed Hassan got chemicals with school prize cash'

Police remove the'ring of steel barriers surrounding the house in Sunbury West London where the Parson's Green terror suspect was living Police remove the'ring of steel barriers surrounding the house in Sunbury West London where the Parson's Green terror suspect was living
Melinda Barton | 08 March, 2018, 12:53

Ahmed Hassan, 18, denied he was sent to Europe to work for the jihadist group but said they took him by force and "they trained us on how to kill", before Iraqi soldiers freed him, according to details revealed at the start of his trial.

He allegedly used a £20 voucher he won for being "student of the year" to buy a key ingredient of TATP, the Old Bailey heard.

A teenage asylum seeker told British authorities he had been trained by Islamic State "to kill" before he allegedly planted a bomb on the Tube at Parsons Green in England, a court has heard.

An expert concluded it was "a matter of luck" that the bomb did not fully explode.

There were 93 people in the packed Tube carriage when the device partially exploded in at 8.20am, sending a fireball into the air and severely burning commuters.

'Some in the carriage were caught by the flames and sustained significant burns, ' said prosecutor Alison Morgan.

"Had the device fully detonated, it is inevitable that serious injury and significant damage would have been caused within the carriage".

The homemade device after detonation, as seen on the Evening Standard site.

"The consequences of detonating a device of that type are obvious and are magnified by the presence of shrapnel".

The jury saw CCTV footage from inside the train which showed the fireball engulf the carriage and commuters ducking from the flames.

It was stated that the defendant got off the carriage at Putney Bridge Station before the bomb went off and he was arrested at the Port of Dover the following day.

Ms Morgan said the device was made from the volatile chemical explosive TATP and contained a large amount of shrapnel to cause "maximum harm and carnage".

"Instead he had created a timer system to ensure that it detonated in his absence".

The TATP, also known as the "mother of Satan", the Islamic State's explosive of choice, was placed in a Tupperware container and a blue glass vase, both of which were put inside the bucket with a crude timer, then covered in dark fabric and a pair of pants.

A blue glass vase containing approximately 100g of TATP.

The bucket was inside a Lidl carrier bag and been packed with assorted objects including sockets, screw drivers and bolts.

The initiator was connected to the timer, which resulted in the explosion.

She suffered burns to her legs, hands, and face, causing her eyebrows and lashes to be singed off, the court heard.

Some were also injured in the stampede as people ran from the scene in panic.

The court heard that Hassan, who arrived in the United Kingdom illegally on the back of a lorry in 2015, and allegedly told Home Office staff in January 2016 that he was fleeing Isis.

Jurors heard he gave his name as Ahmed Hassan Mohammed Ali, and said that he was born in Iraq on June 1, 1999.

In April 2016, the teenager was referred by Surrey social services to Brooklands College where he was given a mentor who helped him find his foster home in Cavendish Road, Sunbury, in Surrey.

The trial is expected to last two weeks.