Monday, 19 March, 2018

After Boko Haram School Attack, Nigeria Confirms 110 Students Missing

FG Orders Police NSCDC To Beef Up Security In Yobe Schools Mr Lai Mohammed briefs reporters during a visit to Yobe State
Melissa Porter | 03 March, 2018, 04:13

"My heart goes to the abducted girls and their families".

"And we very much hope that the perpetrators will be brought to justice, and just as importantly, that the girls will be found and returned to safety", he said.

One of the kidnapped girl's fathers is asking the Nigerian government to act swiftly.

More than 100 girls remain unaccounted for following an attack on a school in the town of Dapchi in the north-eastern Nigerian state of Yobe by suspected members of Boko Haram, the country's Information Ministry has said. The gunmen were focused on identifying the school and kidnapping the girls.

Subsequently, the parents of the missing girls put the number of girls yet to be located at 105, but after the presidency visited, 110 was announced as the confirmed number.

The President also assured that the Federal Government would work closely with all stakeholders to rehabilitate and resettle all those displaced as a result of insurgency. The girls' ages range from 11 to 19 years.

"Schools should be safe spaces and protected at all times", UNICEF said in a statement. Also credible was the presidential press spokesman's statement that the confusion was caused by some of the girls successfully avoiding capture by fleeing into the bush.

Mr. Mohammed said the details were compiled by a screening committee.

Lao Mohammed to Yobe State on Sunday. Now, another set of schoolgirls has been kidnapped."He said: "Nigeria's security agencies must not play the propaganda game anymore".

The president also apologised after the authorities mistakenly claimed to have rescued some of the girls last week.

"This is especially against the backdrop of the recent incident where another group of girls were abducted on January 19 from the Government Girls Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe state", Buhari told a reception in Abuja for former captives of jihadists.

A total of 276 girls were seized by Boko Haram's armed men who stormed their dormitories on the night of April 14, 2014, at the Girls Secondary School in Chibok town of Borno State.

The February 6 memo, signed by Emmanuel Aladeniyi, a brigadier-general, warned of impending attacks, especially suicide bombing, in public places, such as the University of Maiduguri, markets, mosques and parks. Boko Haram has proved a steady threat to communities in north-eastern Nigeria.

"Contrary to the comments being circulated, troops earlier deployed in Dapchi were redeployed to reinforce troops at Kanama following attacks on troops' location at the Nigerian - Nigerien border".

Residents say that Nigeria's security forces, backed by military jets, later repelled the attack.

"We reiterate our commitment and determination to carrying out our mandate to fight Boko Haram terrorists in the north east".