Wednesday, 21 November, 2018

Florida teen charged with 17 murders; Trump plans address

Florida teen charged with 17 murders; Trump plans address Florida teen charged with 17 murders; Trump plans address
Melinda Barton | 16 February, 2018, 06:29

In remarks from the White House Thursday on the mass shooting that left 17 dead in South Florida the previous day, President Donald Trump offered no legislative solutions to address America's epidemic of gun deaths but insisted that Americans "must actually make [a] difference".

So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem.

The suspect, Nikolas Cruz, 19, gunned down victims with a rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland shortly before 3 p.m. after he allegedly activated a fire alarm, sending people outside unaware of what was to come, officials said.

"It's catastrophic", Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said. Cruz and her husband, who died of a heart attack several years ago, adopted Nikolas and his biological brother, Zachary, after the couple moved from Long Island in NY to Broward County.

"Soon teachers and students got the word: It was a code red".

He reportedly had a history of making threatening social media posts and was expelled from the high school previous year for fighting.

Fourteen wounded survivors remained hospitalized as bodies were recovered from inside and around Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Cruz was an orphan - his mother, Lynda Cruz died of pneumonia November 1 neighbors, friends and family members said, according to the Sun Sentinel.

It also is the deadliest ever at an American high school, surpassing the 1999 rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, where two teenagers killed 12 students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

It was perfectly legal for a 19-year-old, whose high school would reportedly not allow him on campus with a backpack, who had a history of threatening students, to buy an AR-15. Jim Gard, a math teacher who said Cruz had been in his class a year ago, said he believes the school had sent out an email warning teachers that Cruz shouldn't be allowed on campus with a backpack.

Lewis also said the family was not aware of any other weapons in the gun cabinet he had, and couldn't talk about how long they knew of the AR-15 because people are looking to sue them now. "I am not joking they just shot through the walls someone in my class in injured", she said. May said he heard directly from a student that Feis jumped between her and the shooter, to push her out through a door and out of the line of fire.

"I saw the story kind of go across my newsfeed, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it, but when the Federal Bureau of Investigation said it was the same name, the first thing that went through my mind was, 'Wow, I hope you were at least watching this guy that I alerted you to months ago, '" he recalled Thursday in a phone interview with CNN. "We try to keep our eyes out on those kids who aren't connected". They are cooperating with authorities, he said.

An Instagram account that appeared to belong to the suspect showed several photos of guns.

Students told United States media they hid under desks or in store cupboards or barricaded doors as loud shots rang out.

At 19 and without a criminal background and as a U.S. citizen, despite Cruz's disciplinary record at school, all he needed was a few hundred dollars to buy the rifle.

"I think it's important to know all of that before you jump to conclusions that there was some law that we could have passed that would have prevented it".

The family is devastated and shocked, lawyer Lewis said.

Colton Haab, a 17-year-old junior who had a close relationship with Feis, told CNN he saw the coach running toward the sounds of gunshots.

It was also the second-deadliest at a USA public school after the 2012 massacre of 20 first-graders and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.