Wednesday, 12 December, 2018

DMV accepts applications for Real ID Driver Licenses today

An Idaho Transportation Department graphic on star card requirements DMV accepts applications for Real ID Driver Licenses today
Melissa Porter | 23 January, 2018, 00:03

Just before the sun came up Monday morning, a line started forming outside the DMV office on Broadway in Sacramento as people waited to get their Real ID cards.

Starting today, Monday, Jan. 22, California began issuing special identification cards for flying, both domestically and internationally.

Beginning in October 2020 a "real id" driver's license or state id card will be required to board a domestic flight, enter a federal building, or visit a military facility.

PennDOT anticipates that REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses and ID cards will be available to customers in spring 2019, and will continue to apply for extensions from DHS until becoming REAL ID compliant. After that date, however, only a REAL ID or other federally approved documents will be accepted, including a U.S. Passport, passport card or military ID.

The new ID cards will look a bit different than current California identification cards and licenses.

If you know you will not be boarding a domestic flight or visiting secure federal facilities or military bases, you do not need a REAL ID driver license or ID card. To apply for a REAL ID, you must go to the DMV in person.

After Oct. 1, 2020, US passports, passport cards, military identification or other TSA-approved ID will still be accepted to board a domestic flight. The act is meant to establish minimum security standards for licenses and prohibit federal agencies from accepting, for certain purposes, driver's licenses and identification cards from states not meeting the Act's standards.

People who are not in the USA legally can not apply for Real ID licenses. You also must show a California residency document and proof of your Social Security number. After that you will need a passport to even fly in the U.S.

If you change your name, got married or divorced, you may need to prove additional documents.

Here's a look at the "Real ID".