Thursday, 16 August, 2018

Father charged with murder in death of 3-year-old Sherin Mathews

Father charged with murder in death of 3-year-old Sherin Mathews Father charged with murder in death of 3-year-old Sherin Mathews
Melinda Barton | 13 January, 2018, 05:48

A Dallas County grand jury has indicted Wesley Mathews in the capital murder of his 3-year-old daughter. Court documents indicate Sini and her husband left Sherin home alone while they went to dinner with their biological daughter the night she disappeared.

During the investigation, Mathews' story allegedly changed several times, including that she had died from choking on milk.

Sherin was earlier reported missing on October 7 but was found dead near her home on October 22.

The medical examiner ruled the girl's death as a homicide.

The 37-year-old has also been charged with abandoning a child, endangering her life and tampering with evidence.

He reported his daughter missing on October 7, sparking a broad search involving numerous law enforcement agencies before her body was found on Oct 22.

Richardson Texas Police Department via AP File
Richardson Texas Police Department via AP File

"We do want to make certain justice is done on behalf of this little 3-year-old", said District Attorney Faith Johnson.

Rafael De La Garza, attorney for Wesley Mathews, told NBC 5 that he does not have a statement at this time.

Sherin Mathews was reported missing by her father in October past year, who had at the time said he left her outside their house as punishment for not drinking her milk.

An attorney for Sini Mathews has previously said she played no role in Sherin's death. He told investigators the girl had developmental disabilities and was malnourished. He was initially charged in October, 2017, with felony injury to a child and his bond was set at $1 million.

Richardson Police Chief Jimmy Spivey said the case has been "very intensive" for his department. He depicted an exceptional eating routine regimen in which she needed to eat at whatever point she was wakeful keeping in mind the end goal to put on weight. Eventually, Sherin began to drink the milk and he said he "physically assisted" the girl in drinking the milk while they were in the garage. According to the affidavit, Mathews also said "he knew coyotes had been seen in the alley where he left his daughter".

He "then admitted to removing the body from the home". "Sini Mathews had nothing to do with the tragic death of Sherin Mathews".