Friday, 21 September, 2018

Face of the Red Fort terror attack suspect caught after 17 years

Alleged LeT operative Bilal Ahmad Kawa Alleged LeT operative Bilal Ahmad Kawa
Sherri Watson | 12 January, 2018, 20:17

Kawa is reported to have transferred Rs29.50 lakh through hawala in various bank accounts, including those of Kawa, to fund the attack.

Kawa, who was suspected to have links with Lashkar-e-Toiba, was arrested in the evening from the T-3 terminal of the Delhi Airport, police said.

The Delhi Police arrested Bilal Ahmed Kawa on a tip-off from the Gujarat Anti-terrorist Squad (ATS) and kept him in a special cell in Delhi for further questioning. The police has said that these claims are yet to be verified.

After 18 years Red Fort terror attack accused LeT operative has been nabbed from the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi. He told police that he was going to change his name and identity, sources said.

The police told the trial court that Kawa, one of the conspirators in the attack, had been absconding for 17 years and was declared a proclaimed offender by the court.

According to Kawa's cousin Hina, the terror suspect went to the national capital to meet his wife and daughter, who went to Delhi to spend the winter.

A court on Thursday granted police 10 days to interrogate Kawa, a Kashmir native. The Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) P S Kushwah said that the questing was underway.

Kawa had been hiding in the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir since the December 22, 2000, attack when an unknown number of attackers opened indiscriminate fire inside the heavily guarded Red Fort, police said.

Apart from Kawa at least 11 people, including mastermind Mohammad Arif from Pakistan's Abbottabad have been convicted in the case.