Thursday, 19 April, 2018

Drone attack on Russian bases in Syria, no casualties: Moscow

We aren’t able to protect our own bases it’s slovenliness of the Defence Ministry Drone attack on Russian bases in Syria, no casualties: Moscow
Theresa Hayes | 12 January, 2018, 17:26

The statement came a day after the Defense Ministry said that 13 armed drones were used to attack its facilities in Hmeimim and Tartus overnight on January 5-6.

The drones that attacked Hmeymim air base earlier this month flew out of the area in the southwest of the de-escalation zone Idlib controlled by the so-called "moderate" opposition, the Krasnaya Zvezda newspaper, the official publication of the Russian Defense Ministry, said on Wednesday.

Read the whole story from Radio Free Europe.

Almost three million people are believed to be in the Idlib region, their numbers swelled by fighters and civilians who fled Syrian army advances elsewhere in the country.

Russian Federation said it was also controlled by Turkish armed forces.

Russian media reported two smaller drone attacks against military outposts in the provinces of Homs and Latakia over the past two weeks.

If the report is accurate, the Russian forces are lucky the attack wasn't worse, because whoever unleashed these drones wasn't fooling around. According to Russian defense ministry, all of the drones were detected by anti-aircraft defense systems well in advance and seven of them were then successfully shot down by the Russian Panzir-S air-defense system.

The use of drones by militants in the battlefield persists also in Syria.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said warplanes attacked several suburbs of Damascus, including Saqba, where a man and a child were killed and 13 others were wounded. The Tuesday's statement from Russian Federation didn't point any figure but added that the technology used in the attack was telling.

Putin's pledge to withdraw Russian troops after the alleged defeat of IS in Syria came as the Russian military augmented its operations in support of the Syrian government forces, consolidating their control over rebel enclaves in the country.

"The gains the regime has made are not secure and are at high risk of being temporary". It was also further noted that detonators used in the explosive attached to the drones were of foreign manufacture.

Eric Pahon, a spokesperson for the US Department of Defense, told The Independent: "Any suggestion the US, the coalition or our partnered forces played a role in an attack on a Russian base is without any basis in fact and utterly irresponsible".

Without blaming any specific country, the ministry claimed data for the attacks could only have been obtained "from one of the countries that possesses know-how in satellite navigation". A number of Alawite opposition members said they did not think the group is real and speculated that foreign intelligence agencies are seeking to create the impression of strife among regime loyalists.

It said the group had already tried to destroy Syrian Army de-mining units using UAVs.