Sunday, 23 September, 2018

Woman dies from flesh-eating virus after eating oysters

A couple enjoying raw oysters A couple enjoying raw oysters
Melissa Porter | 09 January, 2018, 02:38

LeBlanc died on October 15 after 21 days.

Their friend, Karen Bowers, described the illness as an allergic reaction, claiming that that's what they believed it was until LeBlanc's health continued to deteriorate. LeBlanc's health nearly immediately took a turn, at first in the form of respiratory distress and a rash that made it appear as though LeBlanc was having an allergic reaction to the meal. Bowers said the first signs of LeBlanc's illness suggested an allergic reaction.

In a podcast about eating raw oysters, the CDC explained that anyone is susceptible to getting ill from eating raw oysters. "That's what we thought", her Bowers told KLFY.

Most infections happen between May and October and common symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, fever and chills.

A woman has died after being infected by a flesh-eating bacteria in Louisiana.

LeBlanc reportedly developed "severe wounds" on her legs, and doctors informed her that she had a bacterial infection known as vibriosis.

People are infected with vibrio after eating raw or under-cooked shellfish, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Reflecting on her partner and the life they shared, Bergquist said, "She was a great person, laughed a lot, loved her family, loved her dad". Estimates suggest 52,000 of those cases are likely the result of eating contaminated food, especially raw seafood.

Told Bowers, 'I can't even imagine going through that for 21 days, much less a day. Most people who contract Vibrosis can recover after about three days.

It is an extremely uncommon cause of necrotizing fasciitis and more likely to affect people with compromised immune systems. About 80% of those infections occur between May and October, when water is particularly warm - ideal for colonies of bacteria to grow and thrive. "Certain Vibrio species can also cause a skin infection when an open wound is exposed to brackish or salt water".

While eating raw oysters is commonplace and the risk is low, it is not negligible. But it rapidly became apparent that something more serious was developing.