Sunday, 25 February, 2018

Japanese priestess stabbed to death at shrine in apparent family feud

Female priest and another woman fatally stabbed at Tokyo shrine Shinto shrine head, 2 others killed in Tokyo sword attack
Kristopher Love | 08 December, 2017, 10:33

Tokyo's Metropolitan Police believe that Shigenaga Tomioka, 56, and his girlfriend, thought to be in her 30s, ambushed his 58-year-old sister, Nagako Tomioka, who was the shrine's chief priestess.

A bloodied Samurai sword was reportedly found at the scene.

Two women were killed and another person was injured Thursday night in a stabbing incident at a Shinto shrine in Tokyo, with the male suspect appearing to have committed suicide, police said.

The chauffeur of the shrine, who also got out of the vehicle, was chased by the woman who wielded a samurai sword.

After slashing the priestess, Shigenaga then stabbed the younger woman to death with a sword before killing himself, police said.

The Times says authorities suspect a dispute between the brother and sister over the Shinto shrine's chief priest position.

After receiving emergency reports of a rampage with a blade, police rushed to the site and found four bleeding people near the shrine in the Tomioka district of Tokyo's Koto Ward.

Also, a woman aged in her 30s who was with Shigenaga Tomioka attacked and stabbed the driver of the vehicle with another katana, police said. However, he was pursued over a distance of about 100 meters by Shigenaga's girlfriend, who was wielding the Japanese sword.

The Tomioka Hachimangu shrine, established in 1627, is known for its Fukagawa Hachiman summer festival and its golden portable shrines. He received injuries not considered life-threatening, police said.

Shigenaga Tomioka was arrested some 10 years ago for blackmailing his sister.

Shigenaga sent a threatening letter to his sister in 2006, saying he would "send her to hell", newspaper Sankei Shimbun said. The shrine left the association on September 28 this year.