Вторник, 12 Декабря, 2017

Geoffrey Rush sues Sydney Daily Telegraph over 'inappropriate behaviour' report

Geoffrey Rush files defamation suit against Daily Telegraph over 'inappropriate behaviour' claims Geoffrey Rush launches defamation lawsuit against Daily Telegraph newspaper
Melinda Barton | 08 Декабря, 2017, 10:16

"The Daily Telegraph accurately reported the Sydney Theatre Company received a complaint alleging that Mr Geoffrey Rush had engaged in inappropriate behaviour", he told SBS News in an emailed statement.

The Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush has launched defamation proceedings against the Sydney Daily Telegraph, accusing the paper of splashing "spurious claims with bombastic titles on their front pages".

The Telegraph first published the allegations on November 30, which allegedly occurred during a 2015 production of King Lear.

Rush said he would not be answering any further questions beyond his statement made to a packed room of journalists and flashing cameras at his lawyers office on Collins Street.

"Today I have filed defamation proceedings against the Daily Telegraph in the Federal Court of Australia", Rush said at a press conference.

Rush has denied the allegations since the first article was published but the news conference on December 8 is the first time the actor has publically spoken on the issue.

The actor resigned the president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards after the allegations emerged and missed this week's awards ceremony.

"The situation is intolerable and I must seek vindication of my good name through the courts", Geoffrey continued. He said he had not been informed of the nature of the complaint by the complainant or the theatre company, either at the time the complaint was made or since.

There's no court date as yet, but we'll keep you posted.

Following last week's reports of the incident, The Sydney Theatre Company confirmed it received a complaint but would not disclose details of the allegations.

The Daily Telegraph's editor Chris Dore said they would defend themselves in court over the matter.

Rush said his wife, daughter and son had also been hurt by the allegations. He is one of the Australia's most respected actors.