Friday, 24 November, 2017

Removal of S Durga from IFFK: Sanal Kumar Sasidharan to move court

Sujoy Ghosh Sujoy Ghosh
Melissa Porter | 15 November, 2017, 02:53

After making the right noises at numerous global film festivals, S Durga a film which tells the story of a couple running away in the night and their encounters with sexist people will now not be screened at IFFI. The Kahaani director gave a confirmation to The Indian Express but refrained from commenting on the development. In any case, film screenings at festivals like the IFFI are different from box-office releases. The film had been cleared by the jury as had been another film, Nude, which did not meet with the approval of the I&B mandarins.

Editor-scriptwriter Apurva Asrani has also stepped down as a jury member.

Director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan expressed his anger and said that he is planning to approach court "They are supposed to publish the list two-three weeks before the festival begins, but they delayed it on objective".

After allegations of two movies selected by 13-member jury for the Indian Panorama section were removed by the I&B Ministry, reports are abuzz that panel head Sujoy Ghosh has also put in his papers from the post of jury chief.

Marathi film Nude which explores the chaotic life of a nude model at an art school has now been replaced by Vinod Kapri's "Pihu" as the opening film.

The film, a road movie that follows the horrifying experience of two hitchhikers, a man and a woman, at the hands of two men in the dead of the night, won the Hivos Tiger Award in the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2017.

"It's something we've never heard of", he said. It's ironic, really, that an industry that has information in its very name should fail to inform everyone involved before taking such a decision. It was selected as the opening film.

The ministry asked the producer of the film to seek certification in the normal course from the Central Board of Film Certification.

The sources added that "Nude" could not make the cut as the submission was "technically incomplete".Film director Ruchi Narain, a member of the jury, said she respected Ghosh's decision to resign.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sasidharan filed a writ petition in the Kerala High Court on the non-inclusion of his film in the Indian Panorama section.

The national award-winning director also said that it is hard to accept that a selected film is removed from the festival without any explanation, "My film was chosen for this, you can't take away my right".