Воскресенье, 22 Июля, 2018

Navy SEALs killed Green Beret over embezzlement scheme

Melinda Barton | 13 Ноября, 2017, 20:25

The Beast adds that an altercation then commenced and escalated, and after Melgar's dead body was delivered to the nearest clinic, the SEALs reportedly panicked.

Melgar had informed his wife, Michelle, he was troubled about two of his partners selected for an intelligence operation in Mali, according to The Daily Beast. No one has been charged, but a medical examiner has ruled his death to be "a homicide by asphyxiation". However, the Daily Beast reported Melgar didn't have alcohol in his system, causing more doubt to surround the SEALs' version of events.

Anonymous special ops troops have told The Daily Beast that slain Green Beret Sergeant Logan J. Melgar had spoken to his wife about "the bad feeling" he had about two US Navy SEALs, who are now under suspicion of his murder, although he didn't elaborate why he felt that way.

Melgar was a member of the 3rd Special Forces Group, which is the primary unit responsible for Army special operations in northwest Africa, including Mali and Niger.

Two Special Operation sources told the Daily Beast that Melgar discovered the pair of SEALs were pocketing some of that money for themselves.

Melgar lost consciousness, and stopped breathing - the SEALs attempted to open an airway in Melgar's throat, to no avail.

But it was a bad excuse because the autopsy report eventually came back, proving that there were no traces of drugs or alcohol in the Green Beret's system.

But Melgar was dead on arrival. They told superiors that Melgar was drunk during hand-to-hand fighting exercises known as "combatives". One source even claims he didn't drink in the first place.

It says the sources allege that Melgar uncovered the theft and declined an offer to take a cut of the proceeds.

Brigadier General Donald Bolduc, then-commander of Special Operations Command-Africa, was allegedly skeptical of the initial reports from the outset, alerted Army Criminal Investigation Command to his suspicions and told commanders in Mali to preserve evidence.

She approached commanders about her concerns regarding his cause of death and allegation that he had been drinking.

An official said jurisdiction for the investigation shifted from the Army investigation service to the Navy in September.

The investigation was fist reported by the New York Times and has sent shock-waves through the special-op community. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported that Melgar graduated from Texas Tech in 2006 and that he enlisted in 2012, joining the Army as an "18X" - an off-the-street Special Forces recruit. He served two deployments to Afghanistan. In 2016, he completed the Special Forces Qualification course.