Your Kid's Halloween Costume Is Probably Teeming With Head Lice
11 October, 2017, 06:52
Although many people associate it with the start of the school year, the real cause may be even scarier: Halloween costumes. It's not a sign of poor hygiene. "And a lot of people don't give much thought to the fact that several people could've tried it on before them".
Experts recommend not trying on any costumes, masks or wigs in the store. (Like a mask, wig, or goblin that tried on a lice-infested mask or wig). "Yeah, I didn't think about it", said Willman.
Just make sure it's dryer safe or simply do what Mary Brito plans to do. Lice can only last for 48 hours without oxygen.
If you're anxious, doctors recommend putting a wig in a sealed plastic bag for 48 hours before wearing it and put dryer-friendly items in the dryer for 45 minutes on high. Another suggestions is to toss the costume in your dryer for 45 minutes or wash the costume before your child wears it.
WTOL News 11 is here to confirm what you, in your heart of hearts, already knew: That all those gummy masks and tangled wigs retailing for $150 at Halloween megastores stand a pretty good chance of being infected with lice.
If you or your child does end up with lice, immediately get a treatment kit from the drug store or go to your doctor.