Tuesday, 17 July, 2018

No evidence to link London attack directly to militant groups: USA sources

No evidence to link London attack directly to militant groups: USA sources No evidence to link London attack directly to militant groups: USA sources
Melinda Barton | 22 September, 2017, 00:11

Officers tackled 21-year-old Yahyah Farroukh to the ground at Aladdins Fried Chicken in west London, according to an eyewitness.

Locally the Gibraltar Contingency Council met on Saturday to discuss the situation in London and concluded that the threat level for Gibraltar should remain "Substantial", that means that an attack remains a strong possibility; but that there is no specific intelligence to suggest an increase in the threat to Gibraltar.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Counter Terrorism Command, said: "This continues to be a fast-moving investigation".

British police on Tuesday arrested a third suspect in connection with last week's bomb attack on a London underground train that injured 30.

The extra funding will go to forces including Greater Manchester Police and the Metropolitan Police to assist with their response to the threat of terrorism and help meet costs relating to the recent attacks, including the Arena bombing.

Saturday morning, a suspect, 18-year-old had been arrested a few hours after the attack that made 30 wounded.

Green says "I would urge anyone from the president of the United States on downwards not to tweet" about activities during an active police terror investigation.

Police said searches were also continuing at another address near London and two properties in Newport. The couple's Surrey house was raided on Saturday. Residents were allowed to return home Sunday but the Jones' house remains cordoned off.

"The 25-year-old man was arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act at approximately 7.08pm at an address in Newport".

He is believed to have passed the pizzeria just after 7am on Friday, some 80 minutes before the device went off at the District Line station on a train bound for Edgware Road, injuring 29 people.

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, National Lead for Counter Terrorism Policing provided an update on the Parsons Green Investigation and the threat level to the United Kingdom from worldwide terrorism being reduced from critical to severe, he said:"The high pace and rapid progress of this investigation is continuing". The 21-year-old was held later the same day in Hounslow, west London.

The suspects remain in custody at a south London police station.

The progress has downgraded the terror threat level in the United Kingdom.