Sunday, 15 July, 2018

A second man has been arrested following the Parsons Green attack

A second man has been arrested following the Parsons Green attack A second man has been arrested following the Parsons Green attack
Melinda Barton | 17 September, 2017, 14:07

The suspect was arrested in Dover - a major ferry port in southeast England - on Saturday morning, according to Metropolitan Police.

The two arrests indicate police and security services believe the attack at the Parsons Green station was part of a co-ordinated plot, not the act of a single person.

This was the fourth time London has fallen victim to a terror attack this year.

"Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counter-terrorism policing, has declared it a terrorist incident", the police said. Friday's bombing was the fifth terrorism incident in the country this year, in which 36 people have been killed.

"We strongly condemn the latest terrorist attack near the Parsons Green station in Southwest London that left scores of people injured", Abella said. Many have been told to stay in lockdown as police evacuated the area and placed a wide zone under a police cordon.

Basu also said that the investigation continued and the threat level remained at critical. It only partially detonated, from inside a white plastic bucket hidden in a supermarket bag, police said.

A manhunt for the perpetrator is ongoing and police have reportedly identified a suspect.

A police manhunt led to a "significant" arrest in connection with an explosion in what officials called a terrorist attack on a crowded London subway vehicle. The last time the threat level was raised to critical was in May following an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the blast, saying a "detachment" from its terror group was responsible.

"For this period, military personnel will replace police officers on guard at certain protected sites which are not accessible to the public", May said during a televised speech.

Police said 45 witnesses have been spoken to and 77 images and videos have been sent in by members of the public.