Thursday, 14 December, 2017

Philippe Coutinho hands in transfer request at Liverpool

Philippe Coutinho hands in transfer request at Liverpool Philippe Coutinho hands in transfer request at Liverpool
Kristopher Love | 12 August, 2017, 18:56

According to Don Balon, Barcelona aren't ready to give up the fight in their pursuit of Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho, as they are willing to offer midfielder Ivan Rakitic as part of their bid to prise the Brazilian away from Anfield.

However, just hours later, the player himself stunned the Kop faithful - who were finally starting to relax - by handing in a transfer request.

The Catalan club has repeatedly made hefty bids for the 25-year-old, with the latest bid being reported at £90.5 million.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that the Reds will be without Adam Lallana, Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge, Nathaniel Clyne and Danny Ings for their Premier League curtain-raiser against Watford but revealed that Jordan Henderson will feature against Marco Silva's men after recovering from a virus.

"He has tremendous love for the club and fans but, like Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez have pointed out in the past, Liverpool does not let its players leave on amicable terms".

A statement issued by Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool's US-based owners, said: "We wish to offer clarity as regards our position on a possible transfer of Philippe Coutinho".

But there are conflicting reports over Coutinho's transfer request, with a number of reliable Liverpool sources rubbishing Sky's report.

Reds fans have taken to social media to express their delight surrounding the statement, with many supporters declaring how nervous they were to click on the link in case it said he was moving to Barcelona. And that is all I have to say.

Questioned on whether his job now was to keep Coutinho happy, Klopp added: "I can't keep players happy".

He will not be available to face Watford this weekend, however, and is a doubt for the first leg of the Champions League qualifying play-off against Hoffenheim on Tuesday, after failing to recover from a back injury. The young Frenchman is now suspended by Dortmund after going AWOL. A lot of different things. If you ask early enough, you can either switch the plan or whatever. I don't know if it was a reaction to the club coming out and making a statement earlier in the day. "But you can not come up, close to the start of the season and things like this".

"For Barcelona, it's an important financial income that allows them to breathe much easier and also to try new signings".

"It is about what happens when he is running and what happens to the formation of the opponent - should we play the ball there or should we use the space he creates with his run?" I said there'd be a riot if he went and I still stand by that. Maybe everybody has a price - in the right moment.