Thursday, 14 December, 2017

Fidget spinners catching fire prompts warning from U.S. government

Are Fidget Spinners Dangerous? Consumer Group Issues a Warning                 

     

     REUTERS  Tom Jacobs Are Fidget Spinners Dangerous? Consumer Group Issues a Warning REUTERS Tom Jacobs
Melissa Porter | 12 August, 2017, 03:00

Fidget spinners are typically designed with a center bearing with weights around the perimeter and are spun in a person's hand. But after some risky incidents involving the popular gizmos, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued new fidget spinner safety guidance for consumers and businesses. "Keep them from small children; the plastic and metal spinners can break and release small pieces that can be a choking hazard; and older children should not put fidget spinners in their mouths".

Consumers should be present when products with batteries are charging. In one case, a child reported their Bluetooth fidget spinner having caught fire and exploding after charging for about 40 minutes. Last week, an 11-year-old boy spent 16 hours in two different hospitals trying to have a fidget spinner removed from his finger.

The spinners are especially popular with teenagers, and what teenagers find cool, younger children want to play with.

"The fidget spinner was on fire on my counter", she said.

As for battery-operated fidget spinners, the CPSC says it is important to use the charging cable that either comes with the fidget spinner or one that has the correct connections for the device as charging cables are not interchangeable.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission today confirmed that it is investigating a number of incidents associated with the toys, while also outlining precautions users should take before unwrapping fidget spinners. Businesses selling general-use spinners are still urged to make sure rechargeable ones have proper battery management systems, to lower their risk of catching fire.

CPSC advised that fidget spinners shouldn't be left unattended while charging, and should never be plugged in overnight.