CBS affiliate KRQE quotes Felisha Owens, Coe's stepmother, as saying Madison enjoyed taking baths, adding that it was not unusual for her to spend up to two and a half hours in the tub. Yesterday, the Lovington Police released a text that was apparently sent just before Coe was shocked to death.
Madison was at her father's house on July 9 when she was fatally electrocuted after touching a frayed extension cord she was using to charge her cell phone.
"When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath", she captioned the photo.
The girl's parents gave the Lovington Police Department in New Mexico permission to release their daughter's final photo in order to raise awareness about the dangers of using a cellphone while taking a bath.
Lovington Police investigators believe Madison Coe took the photo and sent it to a friend just before she died, NBC 12 reported.
According to a report by Lovington Police and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the extension cord had been plugged into a non-grounded outlet which was without a circuit-breaking safety mechanism. "Forensic evidence indicated that (Madison) came in contact with (the) area of the frayed extension cord while she was still in the bathtub, which contained water at the time, resulting in her electrocution". "She just loved life", she said. They want people, and especially teenagers, to be aware of the dangers of texting in the bathtub. There will be a balloon/candlelight memorial following the memorial service, 6:30 p.m.at Terra Vista Middle School for all who would like to attend. The family described her as a loving and smart girl who loved band and basketball.
Her friends and families started a GoFundMe campaign to cover her medical and funeral costs.