Sunday, 20 August, 2017

London police say 58 people assumed dead in tower block blaze

An investigative report into the disastrous Grenfell Tower fire may not be made public for years London police say 58 people assumed dead in tower block blaze
Melinda Barton | 20 June, 2017, 02:34

Cundy promised an "exhaustive" criminal investigation into the fire that would also look at a major refurbishment of the building completed previous year.

Commander Stuart Cundy of the Metropolitan Police told a press conference the number may change but those believed to have died when the London tower block went up in flames is now in double figures.

Cundy said a full forensic and systematic search was being carried out, but people must prepare for the worst.

Rescue personnel have had difficulty reaching the top floors of the charred, 24-story tower.

Cundy promised an "exhaustive investigation" into the tragedy and said "my heart goes out to those affected". He says "my heart goes out to those affected".

Most major cities with many high-rise buildings have detailed building codes and fire safety rules requiring several layers of protections in tall buildings.

The council said 110 households had been given temporary accommodation by Friday morning, and added that it was working to find more permanent homes.

Barwell had told lawmakers that the government meant to review fire safety standards following a fatal fire at Lakanal House, a London high-rise in 2009.

'There is also a real possibility that there may be people in the building that no one knows are missing'.

Prime Minister Theresa May's government earlier sought to quell anger over the fire, pledging to support the victims of the blaze after protesters jeered her when she visited local residents.

But besides the drive to help survivors, the sense of anger was palpable on the streets. People have lost their lives and others have lost everything, all their possessions, their home and everything.

The burnt out shell of the Grenfell apartment tower block is seen in North Kensington, London, Britain, June 17, 2017. A solemn Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip held a minute of silence for the fire victims at the start of the procession Saturday.

"Put to the test, the United Kingdom has been resolute in the face of adversity", she added.

The queen's official birthday is marked in June when the weather is often nicer than in April, the actual month of her birth.

"Sadly that work leads me to believe that the number of people missing, but as yet unaccounted for has risen from yesterday's figure of 58".

She said that the government has begun distributing funds from a $6.4 emergency fund created to assist victims of the blaze, and housing officials are conducting safety checks of other public high-rise towers in London.

Twenty-four injured survivors are still being treated, 12 of them in critical care.

The tragedy has provoked a very big response from nearby communities that have donated food and shelter to the victims.

What makes the London fire maddening for fire experts who believe in the "stay put" rule is that the Grenfell may have lacked numerous safety redundancies necessary to make it work.

The Met Police made the grim announcement this evening as firefighters and cops continue to search the gutted 24-storey building in Kensington, west London.

Many are demanding answers for how the blaze spread so quickly.

He said people were "angry not simply at the poor response in the days afterwards from the council and the Government, but the years of neglect from the council and successive governments".

The 91-year-old monarch said it is "difficult to escape a very somber mood" on what is normally a day of celebration.