Grim search at London blaze site continues as anger mounts | SunStar
20 June, 2017, 02:59
June. 18 (ANI): The Police has announced that the fifty-eight people who are still missing after the Grenfell Tower fire, are being presumed dead.
Detectives investigating the massive fire at the Grenfell Tower in west London have released images and video footage from inside the building that show "the scale of the challenge" investigators face in recovering bodies.
Mr Cundy said the death toll may still change, but not as significantly as it has in recent days.
Local anger began building Wednesday as the 24-story residential Grenfell Tower block caught fire and was consumed by flames in a matter of minutes. Mohammad Alhajali was initially identified last Thursday by a Syrian solidarity group he worked for.
Residents of the destroyed tower said May was far too slow to visit the stricken community, that the building had been unsafe and that officials have failed to give enough information and support to those who have lost relatives and their homes.
Cundy said the search and recovery operation was ongoing in the burnt-out 24-storey tower, which was built in 1974 and had received a major refurbishment that was completed past year.
Cundy promised an "exhaustive investigation" into the tragedy and said "my heart goes out to those affected".
In a report, BBC said the number could be around 70 people in total.
On Saturday, May met with victims of the blaze at her 10 Downing St. offices for 2½ hours.
"As we do everything we can to help them, we will make sure they have the counselling and emotional support they need in the hard days, weeks and years ahead".
The queen and her husband, Prince Philip, stood silently on the steps of Buckingham Palace before the start of the Trooping the Color ceremony that each year marks the queen's official birthday, which is traditionally celebrated in June when the weather is warm.
London's Metropolitan Police confirmed Friday that at least 30 people died in this week's fire which swept through a residential tower block in west London.
Earlier in the day, the prime minister paid a second visit to the area around the Grenfell Tower following public outcry at her snubbing of local residents on her first visit due to "security concerns".
"The prime minister is very aware that people want answers promptly and we want to get this going promptly, so that's our intention", the spokeswoman said.