Saturday, 20 January, 2018

Three men arrested in connection with Manchester attack released without charge

Manchester attack arrests and key locations Three men arrested in connection with Manchester attack released without charge
Stacy Diaz | 04 June, 2017, 05:13

Pictures of suicide bomber Salman Abedi walking the streets of Manchester in the days leading up to the concert terror attack have been released by police.

"Did you see Abedi in the Rusholme area between 18th and 22nd May?"

Twenty-two people were killed and dozens of others seriously injured when the bomber struck after a concert by American singer Ariana Grande.

Abedi's older brother Ismail is reported to be among them, and his father and younger brother have been detained in Libya.

Detectives have confirmed that Abedi, a British Libyan, bought parts for the devastating bomb after arriving back in the United Kingdom but they have been unable to determine whether he acquired parts before he left the United Kingdom for Libya.

Officers have released the collection of CCTV images - captured at undisclosed locations across the city - in a bid to discover when the terrorist purchased his deadly materials.

Jackson said investigators are particularly interested in Abedi's travels to the Wilmslow Road area in Manchester and a blue suitcase he carried with him during these trips.

Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, head of the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, said: 'Our enquiries show Abedi himself made most of the purchases of the core components.

Detectives investigating the Manchester Arena bomber have released more CCTV images of him as they piece together his movements after returning to the United Kingdom from Libya.

"With specialist support we have also have a good understanding of the likely component parts of the bomb and where these came from", Jackson said.

GMP chief constable Ian Hopkins said Abedi appeared on police logs in 2012, when "he would have been 16 or 17", for what he described as a "relatively minor" criminal record. We have done this by examining his movements on CCTV and other interactions he has had whether it be with people or the phone calls he has made.

After the attack, police immediately sought to determine whether Libyan-born Abedi was part of a wider terrorist "network". "We need the public's help in this". If you have previously called and have information, I would urge you to call again.

Also Tuesday, London's Metropolitan Police said military backup for police, brought in after the bombing, was gradually being reduced now that the U.K.'s official threat level from terrorism had been lowered from "critical" to "severe".

The suitcase is a "different item" than the one he used in the attack, police said, but added that they believe he was in possession of it "days before the attack".