Monday, 17 December, 2018

Rolf Harris released from Stafford Prison ahead of court appearance

Harris will plead not guilty to four charges of indecent assault when he appears in court on Monday Harris will plead not guilty to four charges of indecent assault when he appears in court on Monday
Stacy Diaz | 23 May, 2017, 14:15

Harris has been released on bail and will appear in Southwark Crown Court on Monday in person where he is pleading not guilty to four charges of indecent assault involving three girls aged between 13 and 16 in the 1970s and 80s.

Europe correspondent Tova O'Brien told the show the Southwark Crown Court was overflowing with people.

The court was also told that Harris was joking when he allegedly asked the young girl if she often got molested on a Saturday morning.

When questioned by prosecuting lawyer Jonathan Rees, the woman said she had not sought compensation in the case and did not intend to.

His niece Jenny looked on as the entertainer, who previously appeared via video link, sat in the dock wearing a dark suit and patterned tie.

The court heard the alleged victim made her official complaint in July 2014, the same day the Daily Star website ran a piece with the headline "Victims of Rolf Harris to receive £200,000 in compensation".

The alleged victim's partner said he was "shocked" when his wife told him about the incident around 17 years later after he heard her shout at the Australia-born TV star when he was on the television.

Mr Vullo asked the complainant why she did not report the alleged assault to police until four days after Harris was convicted in a previous trial in 2014, and the day a newspaper ran a report about compensation for his victims.

"I can't understand how anybody would want to profit from something like this".

"It's probably been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life to be honest", she said. They all separately warned their families and friends that after the BBC identity Jimmy Savile was exposed as a sexual predator, that "Rolf Harris would be next".