Monday, 21 January, 2019

Facebook murder suspect remains at large as police ask public for help

Facebook live murder suspect Steve Stephens kills himself after pursuit Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed
Melinda Barton | 20 April, 2017, 06:24

The suspect who killed a grandfather in OH and posted a video of it on Facebook shot and killed himself after a brief pursuit by police in Pennsylvania on Tuesday. According to Pennsylvania state police, "As the vehicle was spinning out of control from the PT manoeuvre, Stephens pulled a pistol and shot himself in the head."There were no injuries to the public or the police reported". Stephens led police on a short pursuit before stopping.

Steve Stephens posted a video to Facebook on Sunday showing himself saying, "I found somebody I'm about to kill".

Stephens's mother told CNN she called him on Sunday after learning about the video, and he had told her he was shooting people because he was "mad with his girlfriend".

Facebook vice president Justin Osofsky said the company was reviewing the procedure that users go through to report videos and other material that violates the social media platform's standards.

A makeshift memorial sits along a fence Monday, April 17, 2017, near where Robert Godwin Sr., was killed in Cleveland. Godwin did not seem to recognize the name.

Shortly after the news broke that Stephens was dead, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams spoke at press conference. "One thing I do want to say, is that I forgive [Stephens]".

Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday didn't shy away from controversy over disturbing videos that were posted to Facebook.

"[The employee] said, 'I think that's the guy. We have a lot of work to do and we will keep doing all we can to prevent tragedies like this from happening".

"I guess he just gave up", Green said of her son. Cleveland police issued an appeal for information with a $50,000 reward on Monday, and also circulated photos of Stephen's vehicle and license plate. Within a day, authorities expanded the search nationwide and offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to his capture.

Stephens was employed at Beech Brook, a behavioral health agency in northeastern OH that serves children, teenagers and families, according to a spokeswoman for the facility.

During the manhunt, Stephen D. Anthony, special agent in charge of the FBI in Cleveland, said, "There's not a federal agency in the United States that is not involved in some way".

"He said this (was) the last time I was going to see him", Green said.

More videos of Stephens surfaced after the killing, where he claimed he had "snapped" and killed 13 people.