Saturday, 18 August, 2018

US 'Facebook killer' takes own life after police chase

Sherri Watson | 19 April, 2017, 07:22

"We have a lot of work, and we will keep doing all we can to prevent tragedies like this from happening", Zuckerberg said on stage at F8, Facebook's annual developers conference.

Authorities had been offering up to $50,000 for information leading to the arrest of the 37-year-old Stephens, who was wanted over the apparently random killing of 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr.

The incident was the latest grisly crime posted on Facebook, reviving questions about videos posted on the world's largest social network, and how - or if - they can be monitored.

Authorities say they received a tip that Stephens' vehicle had been seen in the parking lot of a McDonald's in Erie on Tuesday.

After thanking the media and the public for the more than 400 tips that came in troopers in Erie said they were on alert, looking for a white Ford and Stephens, because they knew he wanted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

"As a result of this bad series of events, we are reviewing our reporting flows to be sure people can report videos and other material that violates our standards as easily and quickly as possible", Facebook's vice president of global operations, Justin Osofsky, said in a statement Monday evening.

Lane spoke about the ordeal and what her life has been like for the past 48 hours after Stephens said her name in the disturbing video, according to the Washington Post. A Facebook video of an OH man shooting a 74-year-old retiree in Cleveland was up for three hour.

Teper said Stephens' autopsy will be conducted Wednesday morning.

Police picked up the trail in a chase that lasted 2 miles before Stephens took his own life, authorities said.

Robert Godwin Sr. was fatally shot by Steve Stephens in Cleveland on Sunday, April 15, 2017.

Police have not verified any other shootings or deaths, Police Chief Calvin Williams said.

This undated photo provided by the Cleveland Police shows Steve Stephens.

Restaurant owner Thomas DuCharme Jr. told the Erie Times-News that the drive-thru attendant thought she recognized Stephens and called state police. Stephens' cellphone had been tracked Sunday afternoon near Erie, officials said on Monday.

"Once a piece of content is reported by users as inappropriate, it is typically reviewed within 24 hours", the report noted.

Facebook said it removed the video of the shooting 23 minutes after learning of it.

"Update us just in case we can put spikes down", one voice says on the dispatch. "We are hoping that the Cleveland Police will be able to apprehend Mr. Stephens as soon as possible and before anyone else is injured".

"As the vehicle was spinning out of control from the PIT maneuver, Stephens pulled a pistol and shot himself in the head", troopers wrote.

Stephens, who had been described as armed and risky, had been on the FBI's Most Wanted list with authorities offering up to $50,000 in rewards for information leading to his arrest.