Wednesday, 18 October, 2017

Dozens killed in Yemen as deadly air strike hits funeral reception

Plane Strike Hits Yemen Mourners Killing 9 Women 1 Child The Saudi-led coalition said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties
Melinda Barton | 17 February, 2017, 00:42

At least eight women and a child were killed in an overnight air raid on a funeral reception near the Yemeni capital Sanaa, medics said. Officials "are investigating the reports", the statement added.

"People heard the sound of planes and started running from the house but then the bombs hit the house directly", an Arhab resident said. The house is said to belong to Mohammad al-Nakaya, a tribal chief allied with Yemen's Houthi movement, a resident told Reuters.

One showed a man kneeling in the dust cradling the body of an elderly woman. The photos have yet to be verified for authenticity.

In a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency, coalition officials said the missile - which reportedly targeted Saudi Arabia's southern city of Khamis Mushait - had been shot down late Wednesday without causing damage.

Houthis blamed the strike on the Arab coalition, which bombed a funeral near Sanaa in October previous year, killing at least 140 people.

Yemen fell into civil war in 2014 after Houthi rebels overran the capital Sanaa and other parts of Yemen, forcing members of the country's internationally recognized government to temporarily flee to Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi-led coalition has been fighting Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh in Yemen since March 2015, in a bid to restore President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to power.

Saudi air defenses intercepted a "ballistic missile" fired by Yemen's Shia Houthi militia into Saudi territory, the leadership of a Saudi-led anti-Houthi coalition said Thursday.