Tuesday, 17 July, 2018

Teen killed, PDP MP's house attacked in Kashmir

Melinda Barton | 01 September, 2016, 14:19

After 51 days, authorities lifted curfew from all parts of the Valley including two police station areas in Srinagar.

Greater movement of vehicular traffic and people was observed in major areas of the Valley, the official said.

He said improvement in the situation across Kashmir prompted authorities to lift curfew. Danish Manzoor, reportedly between 17 and 19 years as officials could not confirm his age, was killed when the troops opened fire to disperse the mob that wasn't deterred by tear shells.

Four civilians were injured, and a student, identified as Manzoor Ahmed Lone, died. They said police and soldiers also beat up residents and ransacked homes in the village.

However, conflicting reports emerged about the nature of the clash, with police officials saying that Army personnel retaliated after protestors pelted their convoy, and locals claiming that security forces conducted raids in Ladoora and opened fire on demonstrators there. He said the decision to lift curbs was taken following improvement in the situation. However, security forces have been deployed in strength in sensitive areas of the Valley to maintain law and order, he said. A stone pelting mob engaged security forces in clashes in Sopore town on Thursday morning while another mob torched a three-wheeler in Nawa Kadal area of Srinagar city for defying the shutdown called by the separatists. Dozens of protesters were injured in the clash.

Curfew was clamped in entire Valley on July 9 following violence in the aftermath of killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter in south Kashmir s Anantnag district a day earlier. Though curfew has been lifted from entire Valley, shutdowns in response to separatists" "protest calendar' and protests and clashes have continued, throwing life out of gear. Official sources said curfew was reimposed in parts of Baramulla and nearby Sopore town.

The all-party delegation to be led by Union home minister Rajnath Singh is scheduled to arrive here on a two-day visit on September 4. "The Governor was apprised of the measures taken by the Army along the Line of Control (LoC) and hinterland to ensure security as also to restore normalcy", the spokesman said.

Let. Gen. Hooda is on a daylong visit of the restive Valley, his second in the past two weeks.